ISLAMABAD — Inzamam-ul-Haq has decided to step down as the chief selector of the Pakistan Cricket team.
He confirmed the development during an interview on SAMAA TV.
“Allegations were made […] today, I went to the board and asked them to hold an inquiry if they had any doubts. Later I got a call that they had formed a five-member committee,” Inzamam said, adding that he subsequently decided to step down from the post until the committee completed the probe and its proceedings.
He added that he was willing to “sit with the PCB” once the inquiry concluded. “We are cricketers and we are available all the time to serve the country. Since I am facing an inquiry, and as the nature of my job is, I should step down and let them conduct the probe,” he said.
He went on to say that it was painful when people passed comments without any evidence. “I am a human and it hurts. I have a 20-year cricket career during which I represented Pakistan. I am not someone who people don’t know. When such allegations are levelled, it hurts.”
Following Haq’s announcement, the Pakistan Cricket Board, in a post on X (formerly Twitter), said it had formed a five-member fact-finding committee to “investigate allegations in respect of conflict of interest reported in the media pertaining to the team selection process”.
“The committee will submit its report and any recommendations to the PCB management in an expeditious manner,” it added.
Inzamam assumed the role of chief selector on August 7, marking his second stint in this position. He had previously held the same role in 2016 but left it at the conclusion of his term in 2019, after serving for three years. — (Agencies)